October 27, 2020

Stores That Are No More: Price Tags

Here is a selection of price tags found on some of my Matchbox and Hot Wheels car blister packs.  All are from stores that are now defunct.  I personally find this depressing... Once, we had a selection of stores to go to for everything we needed.  If one store didn't have it, you went next door or down the street.  You got to SEE an item before buying it.  You got to TRY ON clothes before buying them.  You didn't have to wait for items to arrive in an Amazon truck.

If you understand what I mean, read on...

AMES:  Ames took over the Zayer stores here in Massachusetts 

ANN & HOPE:  Our local Ann & Hope was located at the Watertown (MA) Arsenal Mall.  I remember they had people at the entrances who would put a bright sticker on any bags you brought into the store from elsewhere.  That way they would know if you were trying to shoplift!

KB / KAY-BEE TOYS:  I actually don't remember much about KayBee.  There was one in the Burlington (MA) Mall, and I think also right at the Waltham/Lexington line.

TOYS R US:  Another sad one... As a casual collector of diecast cars and various other things that could be found there, I SERIOUSLY miss my childhood heaven.  Our store was in Winchester Massachusetts.  I can still remember the smell of the bicycle section, the huge wall of board games, the ever-moving video game section, and YES, the TOY CAR isle.  It all started to fall apart when they stopped selling model car kits.

I miss them all... 


No comments:

Post a Comment